Thursday, July 21, 2011

Jacob Controls the Situation

“Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I promised you” (Genesis 28:15).

After God has promised to provide to be Jacob’s guide, guard, and provider if only he will be faithful, Jacob makes a vow. “If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God” (Genesis 28:20-21).

Why does Jacob bargain with God for a better deal? Jacob has affirmed what God had promised him. He is accepting God’s offer, but on his own terms. Jacob will continue only if God will meet his requirements. He has to be in charge. Is he serious when he says, “Surely God is in this place-and I did not know it”?
This is the same old Jacob, always in first place; always working to remain in charge of every situation. Do we see ourselves in the Jacob character?

No comments: